The City Engineering Department is responsible for overseeing the work of the various Public Works Departments in Jamestown, and for design, inspection and coordination of all infrastructure repair and construction projects, and for insuring all work complies with all applicable State and Federal laws.

Role and Mission

To insure the consistent and economic delivery of City services in an efficient, safe and timely manner.

Engineering Responsibilities

The City Engineer and Engineering Department oversee the numerous construction and repair projects performed on City infrastructure and Utilities by the various City Public Works Departments and qualified contractors. We are also responsible for overseeing any work performed in the City Right-Of-Way (ROW) including utility improvements and new driveways, and assist the City Administration and the various Public Works Departments with asset management of existing City facilities.

  • Current and upcoming Road Improvement Districts
  • Sidewalk Curb & Gutter District & Paving District
  • One and Five Year Federal Aid Plan
  • Storm Water Management and MS4 Permit
  • Emergency Operations
  • Engineering Studies



Excavation Permit Application

Article VI- Excavations, Curb Cuts, Etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report tall grass or weeds?

Call City Hall at (701) 252-5900 and speak to someone in the Public Works Department, give the address of the property you want to report.

When do I need a City of Jamestown Excavation Permit?

Anytime you excavate, construct, re-construct, repair alter patch or grade any sidewalk, curb cut, driveway or street on the public streets, avenues or alleyways.

How do I request repair of a broken sidewalk other than my own?

Call City Hall at (701) 252-5900 and speak to someone in the Public Works Department and report the address of the broken sidewalk.

Who is responsible for the sidewalk , curb and gutter adjacent to my property?

The property owner adjacent to the sidewalk is responsible for sidewalk repairs and snow removal from the sidewalk area.

Curb and gutter damaged by city snow removal efforts will be repaired by the city crews.  Sunken or heaved curb and gutter will be repaired by the city under the 7 year street repair project. Any other curb & gutter work is the property owners’ responsibility.

How do I request repair of my sidewalk or curb & gutter?

You may have your sidewalk or curb and gutter repaired by a licensed contractor with the required permits, or you may sign a petition to place the work on the city sidewalk, curb & gutter project.  Costs will be applied to your special assessments.